Kent Online Parish Clerks
Canterbury - St. Andrew Parish
|We are sorry, there is no Online Parish Clerk for this parish.||We have no other information or data for this parish except what is accessed by or detailed on this page.||If you wish to volunteer for this post or have data you wish to contribute, please use the appropriate link on our
To view a plan of Canterbury as it was in 1825 click here. if you are using Internet Explorer hold your mouse over the lower right corner of the image. In a few minutes a "resize" square will appear. Click on that square to make the plan larger. If you are using Firefox, as soon as the image loads your cursor should be replaced with an enlarging eyeglass. Simply click on the image to make it larger.
Canterbury - St. Andrew
Canterbury - St. Andrew is, ecclesiastically, in the diocese of Canterbury, in the archdeaconry of Canterbury and in the deanery of Canterbury. The church is named for St. Andrew with original parish registers commencing 1538.1
St. Andrew's church superseded a previous one about 1763; is a brick structure; and consists of two aisles and a chancel, with a steeple.1
The living is a rectory of St. Andrew. Value of St. Andrew, £203 with a habitable glebe house. Patron of St. Andrew, the Archbishop for two turns, and the Dean and Chapter for one.1
This church was later united with the church and living of St. Mary Bredman's.2
St. Andrew's church stands in a small recess, about the middle of the High-street, on the south side. It was built in the room of the ancient church of the same name, which stood at a small distance, in the centre of the street, the passage along which was through two narrow lanes on each side of it. This church was an ancient structure of only one isle, and one chancel, having a spire steeple at the west end; in it were many monuments and inscriptions; the former of which, when this church was pulled down in 1764, an act of parliament having been obtained for this purpose, for the accommodation of the public, by laying open the street, were at first deposited in the undercroft of the cathedral; but when the new church was finished, they were placed in the vestibule of it; an account of them will be given below. Among these were the several monuments of the rectors of this parish, from Dr. Cox in 1544, to Mr. Paris, who died in 1709, both inclusive, and were for the most part buried in it. Among these it is observable, that there were two ancestors of the famous dean of St. Patrick's, viz. Thomas Swist, his great-grandfather, and William his son, who were successively rectors of this church from 1569 to 1624; the former of them having expressly desired by his Will, that his bones should rest in that church, where his people so entirely loved him.2
This church being thus taken down, a new one was erected, though not till some years afterwards, on a spot of ground bought for the purpose, of sufficient size for a small cemetery likewise adjoining. The ground was purchased and the church built, partly by the parish rates and partly by the collection of private contributions; the expense of the ground and building amounted in the whole to £1900. This church, which is a neat building of brick, with a steeple of the same materials, in which hangs one bell, was opened by licence from the archbishop, for the performance of divine service, on Dec. 26, 1773, and was consecrated, with the church-yard, on the 4th of July following.2
It appears by the return made by the king's commissioners, anno 2 Edward VI that there were obit and lamp lands given by the Wills of several persons for the keeping of their several obits yearly, and finding lamps within this parish church for ever. One of them was William Benet, son of Robert Benet, of Stour-street, in this parish, who lived in King Henry VI and King Edward IV's reigns. By his Will, which is dated anno 1463, he appears to have been a man of much note and wealth; and the several charitable donations in his Will were very considerable; by it he ordered to be buried in the church of St. Augustine, by Alys his wife. He gave 4s. 4d. yearly quit-rent, out of a tenement in Clement's-lane to his feoffees, the parson and two churchwardens of St. Andrew's, to sustain and keep the clock of this church; and as they had no goods in hand, as other churches had, he gave them five marcs in money, to be put to the use and welfare of it; and likewise 10s. yearly to be paid to the parson of this parish or his deputy, and the two churchwardens; from his tenements in St. Mary Bredman, devised by him to the city.2
In a Will anno 1534, I find mention of St. Ninian's light, in this church.2
This church is a rectory, the patronage of which was part of the possessions of the abbot and convent of St. Augustine, with which it continued till the final dissolution of it in the 30th year of King Henry VIII when it was, with the rest of the possessions of that monastery, surrendered into the King's hands; whence it was afterwards granted by the King, in his 34th year, in exchange, and with other premises, to the archbishop of Canterbury; [Augmentation-office, deeds of purchase and exchange, box Kent, C. 50] but upon its being united in 1681 to St. Mary Bredman's rectory, (which was of the patronage of the priory of Christ-church, and on the dissolution of it had been given to the dean and chapter of Canterbury); that being the mother church to the smaller parish, the right of patronage of these united churches was decreed to the archbishop and the dean and chapter of Canterbury jointly; that is to say, two turns to the archbishop, and one turn of presentation to the dean and chapter. In which state the patronage of it continues at this time.2
The church of St. Andrew was valued in the ancient taxation, at £8 per annum.2
This rectory, with that of St. Mary Bredman united, is valued in the King's books at £22 6s. 8d. (of this sum St. Andrew's was £13 6s. 8d.) and the yearly tenths at £2 4s. 8d. [Bacon's Lib. Regis, p. 26.]. In 1588 it was valued at sixty pounds. Communicants two hundred. In 1640 it was valued at eighty pounds, the like number of communicants.2
There is a terrier of this rectory, dated anno 1630, in the registry of the Consistory Court of Canterbury.2
PATRONS (Or by whom presented) & RECTORS
During Kay's time, these two churches of St. Andrew and St. Mary Breadman appear to have been united; a list of the future rectors of which may be seen hereafter in the account of the latter, which is the mother church.2
1 John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales. (London, England: A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).
2 Edward Hasted, Canterbury: The churches within the city and suburbs, in The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 11 (Canterbury, 1800), pp. 209-288 https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol11/pp209-288.
Canterbury - St. Andrew Bibliography
-- various. 'Archaeologia Cantiana'. Publisher: Kent, England: Kent Archaeological Society, various dates. [Note: The following volumes can be found on archive.org: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (1876), 11, 12, 13 (1880), 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 32, 34, 35, vol. 1907 supplement.]
Great Britain, Public Record Office. 'Calendar of the patent rolls preserved in the Public Record Office--Edward II, Vol. 1. 1307-1313'Each volume has own index. Publisher: Genealogical Society of Utah d.b.a Historical Books on FamilySearch; http://www.familysearch.org.
Great Britain, Public Record Office. 'Inquisitions and assessments relating to feudal aids : with other analogous documents preserved in the Public Record Office, A. D. 1284-1431', Vol. 3. Publisher: Genealogical Society of Utah d.b.a Historical Books on FamilySearch; http://www.familysearch.org.
Great Britain, Exchequer. 'The book of fees commonly called testa de nevill, pt. 3'. The Book of fees contains information about the holdings of feudal tenants. Publisher: Genealogical Society of Utah d.b.a Historical Books on FamilySearch; http://www.familysearch.org.
Hall, Hubert, 1857-1944. 'The Red book of the Exchequer - Liber rubeus de Scaccario, Vol. 3'. The Red book of the Exchequer was a register intended to preserve important documents comprising charters, statutes of the realm, public acts (Placita), private deeds and ordinances, correspondence. Publisher: Genealogical Society of Utah d.b.a Historical Books on FamilySearch; http://www.familysearch.org.
Glencross, Reginald Morshead. 'Administrations in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, Vol. 1. 1559-1571'. Publisher: Genealogical Society of Utah d.b.a Historical Books on FamilySearch; http://www.familysearch.org.
Hasted, Edward. 'The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent; Containing the ancient and present state of it, civil and ecclesiastical; collected from public records, and other authorities: illustrated with maps, views, antiquities, etc. The second edition, improved, corrected, and continued to the present time'. 12 volumes. Publisher: Canterbury: Printed by W. Bristow, 1797-1801. URL: British History Online
Hussey, Arthur. 'Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex, and Surrey, mentioned in Domesday book, and those of more recent date'. Publisher: London J.R. Smith,(1852).
Letters, Dr. Samantha. 'Kent', Gazetteer of Markets and Fairs in England and Wales to 1516 (2005). URL: British History Online.
Page, William, 1861-1934, ed.. 'The Victoria history of the county of Kent'. Publisher: London: Constable (1908). URL: British History Online
Sharp, J. E. E. S., ed.. 'Inquisitions Post Mortem, Edward I, File 39', Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem, Volume 2: Edward I. Published:(1906), pp. 315-323. URL: British History Online.
Sharp, J. E. E. S., ed.. 'Inquisitions Post Mortem, Henry III, File 45', Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem, Volume 1: Henry III. Published:(1904), pp. 296-302. URL: British History Online.
Location of Records
The following list of records is not intended to be exhaustive. There are many records that are awaiting discovery in archive offices throughout Kent and England. This list is intended only to set out those records that are available via at least two relatively easy-to-access avenues. If you have used or discover a record that would be of benefit to other researchers, that is not on this list, please send me an email with the details of the archive - name, address and archival call number.
Church Records, Church of England
Church Records, Non-Conformist
Parish chest records
Workhouse and Poor Law Records
Assizes and Sessions Records
|Record Type||Dates||Archive 1
|Corresponding LDS Family History Library film numbers
(Find a centre near you)
|Hearth tax||Currently under revision|
|Victuallers Recognizances||Currently under revision|
|Churchwarden's Presentments||Currently under revision|
|Parish rate books||Currently under revision|
|Record Type||Dates||Archive 1
|Corresponding LDS Family History Library film numbers
(Find a centre near you)
|Currently under revision|
1801 - 516
1811 - 489
1821 - 536
1831 - 587
1841 - 509
1851 - 538
1861 - 523
1871 - 495
1881 - 420
1891 - 408
1901 - 313
1911 - n/a
1921 - n/a
Milton Regis mi.