Historic Manors and Estates in St. Peter's, Thanet
Kent Online Parish Clerks
(Click photo for larger view)
In the eastern part of St. Peter's Parish, near the cliffs, about midway between the North Foreland Lighthouse and Kingsgate, are two large barrows or tumuli, called Hackenden Banks, which tradition says, mark the graves of the English and Danes who were slain in battle here: probably, as Lewis conjectures, in that battle, fought A.D. 853, between the Danes, who had invaded the island with a considerable force, and Alcher, Earl of Kent, assisted by Earl Huda with the men of Surrey, which ended in the discomfiture of the Danes. In 1743 the larger one of these barrows was opened, and a little below the surface of the ground, cut out of the solid chalk, were found several graves containing skeletons of men, women, and children, and three large urns of very coarse earth, that crumbled on being exposed to the air. In 1765 the smaller one was opened by order of Lord Holland, and in it were found numerous small graves as in the larger, but no urns.
We may here remark, that the contents of these tumuli, if the account given above is correct, go far to disprove the popular tradition: for it appears improbable that the skeletons of women and children should be intermingled with those of men slain in battle.
Sackett's Hill House
In the Parish of St. Peter's, the seat of Sir Richard Burton, is situated three-quarters of a mile north-west from Dane Court. Standing on an elevated site it commands extensive and interesting prospects. Amongst the interior decorations are four fine paintings of the battles of Prince Eugene, by Vander Meulen; the battle of Trafalgar, by Huggins; Charles 1st, by Vandyck; Oliver Cromwell, an original painting; two family portraits, by Sir Godfrey Kneller, etc. Sackett's Hill House is distant from St. Peter's not quite two miles south-east, from Ramsgate three miles north-west, and from London about 72 miles.
For further reading complete with views of the interior of Sackett's Hill House visit the Sackett Family Association website. Note: This house was destroyed by fire during 1942.
Dane Court was the seat of Robt. Sackett Tomlin, Esq., a handsome ancient mansion, in a low situation, well sheltered by lofty timber, and surrounded with highly ornamented grounds. Lewis, in his History of Thanet, written 100 years ago, states Dane Court to be a gentleman's seat of good antiquity. Dane Court stands near St. Peter's Church on the west, distant two miles south-east from St. Peter's, rather more than two miles north from Ramsgate, 17 miles from Canterbury, and from London 72 miles.
Dane Court was in very early times the seat of a family that took their name from it. In the reign of Henry VIII. we find it possessed by the family of Norwood, one of the descendants of which, Pane Norwood, about the year 1666, alienated it to Richard Smith, whose nephew, Robert Smith, sold it in 1686 to John Baker. He alienated it to Robert Hammond, who sold it to his brother Thos. Hammond, of Deal, whose sons joined in the conveyance of it to Peter Bridger. Sarah, the eldest daughter of this gentleman carried Dane Court in marriage to Gabriel Neve, of whom it was purchased by Richard Sackett, Esq. of East Northdowne, and he bequeathed it to his grand-daughter, Sarah, the wife of Robert Tomlin, Esq.
North Foreland Lodge
The seat of Captain Isacke, of the Honourable East India Company's service, is situated north of Stone House, and near the North Foreland, the eastern most point of Kent. It possesses great beauty of situation. The grounds are well laid out, and planted with a rich variety of shrubs. North Foreland Lodge is distant from Kingsgate three-quarters of a mile south, from Canterbury about 19 miles and from London 74 miles.
Pierremont House, Broadstairs
This is a large handsome house, the seat of Edward Fletcher, Esq. and was the residence, in 1829, of the present Queen, when Princess Victoria, accompanied by her royal mother the Duchess of Kent. It is beautifully situated in a small park at the entrance of Broadstairs from St. Peter's, and from its elevated position commands most extensive prospects both of sea and land.
Pierremont House is distant from St. Peter's three miles south-east, from Ramsgate two miles and from London 73 miles.
Ogle House, Broadstairs
In the Parish of St. Peter's, is the residence of Mrs. Browne.
Chandos Place, Broadstairs
This is the residence of James Trecothick, Esq. a Magistrate for the County, and for the Cinque Ports.
Dumpton (pictured to the far left) is the seat of Robert Crofts, Esq. is situated in a small park, to which there is a neat lodge (pictured immediately left, rear view of the lodge) entrance from the road leading from Ramsgate to Broadstairs and St. Peter's.
It is a handsome residence, tolerably well sheltered with wood, and surrounded with pleasure grounds. The front commands a view of the full expanse of the ocean. Dumpton is due north of Ramsgate, distant one mile and a quarter, one mile south-west from Broadstairs, three miles south-east from Margaret, and 72 miles from London. Note: Dumpton is now a retirement home.
One-time home and the favourite lodging house of Charles Dickens during the summer months, situated in Broadstairs, where he wrote David Copperfield during 1851 in a study overlooking the harbour and the sea. Dickens visited Broadstairs regularly from 1837 until 1859 and described the town as "Our English Watering Place".
No. 2 Victoria Parade. Home to David Copperfield's real-life counterpart of Betsy Trotwood. Now called Dickens House, it is a museum run by the Dickens Fellowship.
It was here that Charles Dickens also planned his novel Bleak House. However, the "Bleak House" of the novel was a completely fictitious building, this building being renamed many years subsequent to the publication of Dickens book. The core of the house is early nineteenth-century but the house was refronted and extended in 1901. Originally known as "Fort House", it was built as the residence of the Fort Captain during the Napoleonic Wars.
Primary Source: C. Greenwood, comp. Epitome of County History, vol. 1, County of Kent. (London, England: privately printed, 1838). Additional material supplied and written by Susan D. Young.
http://www.kent-opc.org This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young. Last Modified: